If you are a developer and need your own Oracle environment to try out and test ideas without disrupting your main development environment, then I propose using a Virtual Machine with Developer Days appliance.
Choose what type of environment you want from this link and start following the instructions. I prefer the Developer Days appliance , since it requires reasonable resources and more related to my work. This virtual Machine contains:
- Oracle Enterprise Linux 5
- Oracle Database 11g Release 2 Enterprise Edition
- Oracle TimesTen In-Memory Database Cache
- Oracle XML DB
- Oracle SQL Developer
- Oracle SQL Developer Data Modeler
- Oracle Application Express 4.0
- Oracle JDeveloper
- Hands-On-Labs (accessed via the Toolbar Menu in Firefox)
Download the Virtual Box application, this used to be an Open Source virtual machine from SUN, but now taken over by Oracle.
Download your chosen Virtual Disks and follow the instructions to Join the files together.
Among the many uses of this Virtual Appliance:
- Great platform to learn about Oracle technologies like SQL, PLSQL, Linux, Java, JEE and weblogic, JDeveloper, APEX, XMLDB and many other technologies.
- Has 2 IDE’s : SQLDeveloper and JDeveloper.
- Since a virtual machine sanboxes everything, it shouldn’t disrupt your own day-to-day working environment.
- The perfect place for SCOTT/TIGER and HR schema.
- Apparently Oracle is using this solution to deliver 1 day seminars and training events (OTN developer day). check the sidebar on the right for dates.
- Great for students eager to learn about Oracle Technologies.
Hope it helps.